Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Winchester Bay, Oregon - part 1

Dave and Roberta from Winnipeg
 
 
 
  
 
Seals sunning on the rocks below us
 
 
 
 

After leaving the park we rode through Florence and ran into Dave and Roberta!  We all stopped a little diner type place and had a late breakfast.  It was great to visit and learn about how Canada and US are the same yet different.  Then once again we were on our way. We hit Winchester Bay at the end of the day.  We stopped at a convenience store for supplies.  This town is so small they don't even has a gas station. This is where I fall off my extremely slow moving bicycle and break my wrist.  I was sure I had just bruised it and had Donnie get me some ice to help with the swelling while he set up the entire camp on his own.  After an hour it was obvious there was something more serious going on.  Donnie got the campground owner to drive us to an emergency room in Reedsport.  I was seen immediately and x-rays confirmed I had broken it.  After some drugs and the doctor manipulating the bones back into place, he gave me a splint to immobilize it and made me an appointment to see an orthoepedic surgeon the next morning in Coos Bay. We caught the one taxi in town back to the campground for the night.  We made arrangements for him to pick us up the next morning the drive us to Coos Bay. Long story short....I went in for surgery that day.  Donnie arranged for a van/SUV to transport us, our gear and the bikes to Los Angeles to pick up the truck.  We stayed a couple days with Donnie's friends again then took off for Houston.   So ended our epic adventure we had pain stakenly planned for months!  We have already decided we will pick up where we left off in Winchester Bay Oregon....so stay tuned.
 

 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment